Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Postmodernity Redux

On February 1st, Bill O'Reilly (on Fox News) interviewed actress and now radio talk-show host Whoopi Goldberg about her views on the war in Iraq. O'Reilly commented on Whoopi's influence, which is considerable, then asked her if she knew what she was talking about. In other words, it was a matter of credibility. Along the way, O'Reilly pointed out that he had based his conclusions on a careful examination of the facts. Here, in part, is Whoopi's response:

[W]hen I take a stance on something, all I can talk to you about is how I feel about it and why. And I don't have to justify it . . . And you want to go and get lots of facts and not go from your heart. I go from my heart.
There you have it - a candid admission from the political Left: "My position is based on a feeling." Facts are unimportant, and we can determine our own reality. This subtle denial of any absolute standard of truth is at the heart of the way some people in our society justify their ethical ideas. There's no right or wrong - just opinions.

Story from "The O'Reilly Factor"

1 comment:

clayburkle said...

I appreciate the blog and love the post but the extrapolation to Whoopi representing "the political Left" sounds abit sweeping, generalistic and polemic. But that's just my feeling. Other than that... keep up the good work!